Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Payment system maintenance

Our online payments system will be unavailable from 5am - 7am on Tuesday 14 July. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Illegal evictions

Show all parts of this guide

6. Dealing with your property

If your landlord removes your belongings or leaves them in the garden or the street, you should do as much as you can to prevent your belongings being damaged or lost. Report the incident to the council and the police. Once the police or council has responded, try to move your things somewhere safe as soon as possible.

In the long term, you may be able to claim compensation from your landlord to cover any damage or theft of belongings caused by an illegal eviction. However, the court will only award compensation that is reasonable. The court may award you less compensation if you didn't do something to prevent your belongings being damaged or stolen when you could have done so.

The local council does not support or submit claims for compensation for tenants illegally evicted. If you would like legal advice on this, you will need to speak to a solicitor or your local Citizens Advice.