Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Illegal evictions

Show all parts of this guide

4. How we can help with illegal eviction

The Council's Private Sector Housing team and Housing Options team jointly deal with problems in private rented properties. They can:

  • help you negotiate with your landlord
  • warn your landlord of the potential consequences of illegal eviction
  • help you to get back into your home after an illegal eviction in certain cases
  • take further legal action against your landlord

You will need to contact the Housing Options team in the first instance. If you have been evicted you need to find somewhere else to live. If you have been illegally evicted outside office hours and there is nowhere else you can go you can contact the out of hours team of your local Council for emergency advice and support. You may get emergency accommodation immediately if you meet the homelessness tests.