Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Illegal evictions

Show all parts of this guide

8. I think my landlord is harassing me, what should I do

Keep Records

Ask your landlord to put all communication with you in writing and keep copies of all correspondence. This can be used as evidence should the harassment continue. You should also keep a diary of all incidents, including dates and times, which can also be used as evidence.

Contact your landlord

Write to your landlord to ask them to stop the actions you feel are harassment. If this does not resolve the situation, you can write to them again stating you will be seeking legal action if they do not stop the actions you feel are harassment.

You can contact your local Housing Options team or Private Sector Housing team. We will arrange an appointment to see you to take your details and investigate whether you may be being harassed. We are likely to contact your landlord to discuss the issue and see if we can resolve the situation in the first instance.

Get an injunction

An injunction is a court order that orders someone to do something or stop doing something. You'll need the help of a solicitor or adviser to obtain an injunction.

Legal aid is available for injunctions against landlords who harass tenants. You may be eligible for legal aid if you claim certain benefits or have a low income.

Contact Civil Legal Advice to find out if you qualify for legal aid to help you get an injunction.