Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Illegal evictions

Show all parts of this guide

9. What action will the council take

If we feel that the action taken by the landlord could be considered harassment, we will attempt to resolve this by telephone or through a letter to the landlord advising them of your legal rights as the tenant. We will invite the landlord to co-operate with us and yourself to find an amicable resolution. This is usually mediation and advice on landlord and tenant law and is classed as 'informal action'.

If we feel the harassment is serious in nature, or there is an immediate risk to you, we may take formal action against your landlord. This may include a formal notice to cease actions that are likely to be considered harassment and/or an interview under caution with the landlord. We may also refer you to Citizens Advice or other legal support for assistance in applying for an injunction to prevent the landlord harassing you. 

We may also contact the Police and other agencies to notify them of any risks we have identified to ensure your safety whilst at the property.

Enforcement action may be taken and a criminal case referred to court where the maximum penalty is two years imprisonment and/or a substantial fine for each offence committed.