Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Rent arrears

Show all parts of this guide

3. Money advice and options

Get debt and money advice

There are a number of local agencies and initiatives which can assist you with debt advice. These include; Citizens Advice, National Debtline and our in house Homemaker Money Advice Service. They can help you with your debt problems if you are having problems with your rent, mortgage and other bills. If you would like a referral to our in house money advice service, you will need to contact our Housing Options Team. You shouldn't have to pay for debt advice as most services are provided with support from the government.

A money or debt adviser can help you get to grips with your finances, and may be able to get your creditors to agree to a repayment plan that will allow you to pay off your debts in instalments. Sticking to a budget will give you a better idea of what you can and can’t afford.

You can also access Citizens Advice online budgeting tool for further assistance and our Welfare Benefit advice guide.

Contact your local housing options team

Your local housing options team can help you access Money and Debt advice services, offer you a face to face appointment and support to stay in your current home or help to find you a more affordable alternative if appropriate.