Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Asked to leave your home?

Show all parts of this guide

7. Possession Procedure

At the end of your Section 21 notice, if you have not found somewhere else to live your landlord will need to apply to the court for a Possession Order. This is an order made by the court asking you to leave. This will give you a date the court is asking you to leave by. It is likely the landlord will request the costs of this Court Order be paid by the tenant.

If you do not leave by the end of the Possession Order date, your landlord will need to apply for a warrant to end your tenancy. This will have a date and time on the court paperwork and the locks will be changed ending your right to occupy the property. Court appointed bailiffs will attend your home at the time and date shown on the warrant. They will gain access to the property and change the locks. You will be asked to leave and if you decline, it is likely Police will be called to assist in the eviction.

If you have left personal belongings in the property, you will be given a contact number to arrange collection of all items usually within seven to fourteen days. If you do not do so within this time, your items will be disposed of and you are likely to incur an additional charge for the removal.