Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Ending your tenancy

Show all parts of this guide

12. Check if you are owed compensation

You may be able to take court action to claim compensation if you have an assured shorthold tenancy and your landlord broke the tenancy deposit protection rules.

You can apply to a court to claim compensation from your landlord if they:

  • didn't protect your tenancy deposit, or protected it late
  • didn't provide you with information about the scheme, or provided it late

In most cases, tenancy deposit protection rules allow your landlord 30 days from when you pay your deposit to protect your deposit and give you information about the scheme used. Different time limits apply for tenancy deposits paid before 6 April 2012.

You can make a claim for compensation even if your landlord has already returned all, or part of your tenancy deposit.

Find out more about how to claim tenancy deposit compensation