Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Ending your tenancy

Show all parts of this guide

10. Court action

You can take your landlord to court for a refund of your tenancy deposit if you are an assured shorthold tenant and your landlord:

  • protected your deposit with a tenancy deposit protection scheme
  • won't agree to use the scheme's ADR service

Find out how to take court action to get your tenancy deposit back

You can also claim compensation from your landlord if they:

  • protected your tenancy deposit late
  • didn't provide you with the information required by the rules, or provided it late

Under tenancy deposit protection rules, your landlord usually has 30 days from when you pay your deposit to protect it and give you certain information.

Find out how to claim tenancy deposit compensation