Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Ending your tenancy

Show all parts of this guide

1. Ending your tenancy overview

If you are a tenant of a council, housing association or with a private landlord you will have a tenancy agreement. If you want to leave your home you will have to notify your landlord in the correct way or you will still be responsible for the rental costs of your home after you have left, for the duration of the term of your tenancy. You may also have to pay court costs if you you have abandoned the tenancy.

If you do not have another home to move into, handing in your notice may leave you homeless and there may not be any duty for the local council to rehouse you. There is very high demand for social housing and very few social housing properties become available each week so it may be unlikely that you would secure another social tenancy.

There are many reasons why you may be considering submitting notice. However, there are usually other options you should consider before you decide to end your tenancy. We provide advice and support if you are experiencing:

  • problems with neighbours
  • noise and nuisance
  • anti-social behaviour
  • domestic abuse
  • relationship breakdown
  • disrepair
  • health issues
  • overcrowding

So, if you are unsure if you should submit notice, or if you are ending your tenancy, but do not have another home to move into, contact us to discuss your situation and we will give you advice.