Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Ending your tenancy

Show all parts of this guide

8. Use a tenancy deposit scheme's dispute resolution service

Your landlord should have used a tenancy deposit protection scheme to protect your tenancy deposit if you are an assured shorthold tenant.

The scheme's Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service can help if there's a dispute about the return of your tenancy deposit. You can only use ADR if both you and your landlord agree. The service is free.

The ADR service decides how much of your deposit should be returned to you. Their decision is final.

Contact the tenancy deposit protection scheme to find out more about their ADR service:

A tenancy deposit protection scheme's ADR service cannot award you compensation, but you can consider a separate court action for this.

If you are not sure if your tenancy deposit was protected, you can check online.

Check if your tenancy deposit has been protected