Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Private Rented Property Complaint

Show all parts of this guide

1. If you rent your home

Your landlord must keep the property you live in safe and free from health hazards.

You will need to contact your landlord in writing, explaining the problem. You will need to keep a copy of this letter, or email.

Your landlord should tell you when you can expect the repairs to be done. You should carry on paying rent while you’re waiting. You must give your landlord access to the property to inspect it or carry out repairs. Your landlord has to give you at least 24 hours notice and visit at a reasonable time of day, unless it’s an emergency and they need immediate access.

Report your concerns

If you do not hear from your landlord after 14 days you can contact us by completing our Private Rented Complaint Form.

If you are a Housing Association tenant, you should report any concerns directly to them.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

When this content has been updated

Last updated 23 August 2022