Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Private Rented Property Complaint

Show all parts of this guide

1. If you rent your home

Your landlord must keep the property you live in safe and free from health hazards.

You will need to contact your landlord in writing, explaining the problem. You will need to keep a copy of this letter, or email.

Your landlord should tell you when you can expect the repairs to be done. You should carry on paying rent while you’re waiting. You must give your landlord access to the property to inspect it or carry out repairs. Your landlord has to give you at least 24 hours notice and visit at a reasonable time of day, unless it’s an emergency and they need immediate access.

Report your concerns

If you do not hear from your landlord after 14 days you can contact us by completing our Private Rented Complaint Form.

If you are a Housing Association tenant, you should report any concerns directly to them.

Start the journey


More info about the journey

Please have to hand any information that may assist us with processing your complaint; such as landlord details, relevant safety certificates or photographs.

You should only complete this form if you are a tenant renting from a private landlord reporting property disrepair, or if you are reporting this on behalf of a tenant.

If you are a Housing Association tenant, please report the issue to them directly. If you are dissatisfied with your Housing Association's response, please follow their complaints procedure which can be found on their website.

The Aster Group 

Clarion Housing 


Guinness Partnership 

Hastoe Housing 

Live West 

Sanctuary Housing 

South Devon Rural Housing Association 



Teign Housing 

Westward Housing 

Willow Tree Housing Partnership 

When this content has been updated

Last updated 19 June 2023