1. Support for Ukraine refugees
Devon’s local authorities are supporting local residents who want to provide sanctuary to the Ukrainian refugees who have been forced to flee their homes.
Devon County Council have the latest guidance and information as it becomes available.
The local authorities are giving particular support to families in Devon whose relatives in Ukraine are fleeing the conflict, as well as to households who volunteer to accommodate refugees.
The county council is receiving the latest information from the government on the sponsors who have registered, and DBS checks on the sponsor families are being carried out.
Devon’s district authorities are using a common approach to assess each sponsor’s accommodation, which will help better assess any potential safeguarding risks.
The Government has set up a website where individuals, charities, community groups and businesses can now record their interest in supporting Ukrainians fleeing the war through the government’s new Homes for Ukraine scheme. It has also published some Frequently Asked Questions.
Information and support
- If you are a resident with friends and family in Ukraine and need information or support about what is happening please contact the Ukrainian Embassy
- To make a donation towards the UN’s humanitarian work, please visit Ukrainian Humanitarian Fund UN Crisis Relief
- You can also make a donation via the Red Cross Ukraine Crisis Appeal
- For information on travel advice to and from Ukraine
- If you have a child in a Devon school who is affected by the crisis, please talk to your child’s teachers about any concerns you have and support you would like the school to provide
- Find immigration advice on temporary concessions for Ukrainian nationals applying to join a family route