Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Variation of a premises licence

Show all parts of this guide

1. How to apply for the variation of a premises licence

If you want to make major changes to your premises licence, then you will need to apply for a full variation.

If the changes could impact on the licensing objectives then you must apply for a full variation.

The licensing objectives are:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder
  • public safety
  • the prevention of public nuisance
  • the protection of children from harm

You will need to apply for a full variation if, for example:

  • you would like to extend the opening hours of the premises
  • you would like to make major changes to the layout of the premises
  • you would like to add the sale by retail of alcohol to your licence
  • authorise the sale of alcohol between the hours of 11pm and 7am
  • increase the number of hours that alcohol may be sold

However, if the changes you would like to make are small, then you can apply for a Minor Variation.

The fee payable will be based on the Rateable Value of your premises.


Start the journey


More info about the journey

  • a credit/debit card
  • submit an application form and serve a copy on the responsible authorities (if served by email or post)
  • submit a plan of the premises if you are changing the layout
  • display a Public Notice outside the premises for 28 days (from the day after the application is submitted) on pale blue paper. Send a copy of the notice to us.
  • place advert in local paper within ten days of submission of application. Send a copy of the page to us showing it has been advertised.


When we receive your application we will check it to make sure it has been completed correctly. We will telephone you if we require any further information.

Once a complete application has been accepted there will be 28 days (from the day after we accept the application) when anyone can make a representation.

If no representations are received your application will be granted and we will send your premises certificate in the post.

If representations are received which cannot be mediated, the application will need to go before the Licensing sub committee within 20 working days of the close of representations.

You will be advised a minimum of 10 working days prior to the licensing sub committee taking place.

We will normally let you have a decision on the day and this will be followed up in writing.


When this content has been updated

Last updated 22 December 2020