Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Waste and recycling collections

We are currently experiencing delays on some of our rounds. If the whole street has been missed we will be aware and will return as soon as possible. Please leave the bins/containers out for collection.

Apply for a site licence

Show all parts of this guide

2. Temporary pop-up camping sites

As more people are planning staycations in England this summer, pop-up campsites are a great way for landowners to provide additional camping facilities for visitors.

Last year new measures were introduced which allowed businesses to set-up temporary ‘pop-up’ campsites without the need to apply for planning permission. A pop-up campsite is a campsite that is temporary, on a flat, accessible field.

What you will need to consider

  • The location of your campsite which ideally should be in a quiet area and away from local communities or neighbours and not be on or near a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) or Special Area of Conservation (SAC) or historic monument/listed building
  • You can only accept tents
  • The maximum limit you are allowed to operate is 56 days in total on the whole site
  • There is no rule that operators must provide facilities, however any facilities you place on your land must be temporary and removed after 56 days
  • It is your responsibility to keep yourself up-to-date with the latest COVID guidance for the hospitality industry
  • It is a good idea to talk to your neighbours and the Parish Council so they are aware of your plans
  • You will need to manage the behaviour of your visitors to avoid unreasonable noise disturbance etc.


You will need to consider the following:

  • Portable toilets
  • Handwashing station
  • Supply of water - if you have a private water supply that has not been certified for commercial and /or public use you should provide distilled water. Most portable toilet companies can provide this for you. If you plan to temporarily extend a mains water supply, you will need to check this with South West Water
  • Placing mats in field gateways if the weather is wet. You will need to remove them after the site closes
  • Rubbish collection and removal from the site and how it is disposed of. You will need to arrange for this to be taken away by a commercial rubbish company.

Risk Assessments and Insurance

You need to risk assess your site to help keep your visitors safe. Consider any information that you can provide them and how to communicate this.

Insurance can usually be provided by the insurer who insures your land for public liability but there is usually an additional charge for this. You should make your insurers aware that you will be offering a pop-up campsite.

Flood risk

The Environment Agency are urging operators to have a flood plan in place to keep their visitors safe. Further information is available on the government website 

If you require any further information or have a specific enquiry, please email