All Hackney Carriage and Private Hire vehicles in Teignbridge that carry passengers in return for payment must be licenced by Teignbridge District Council. Every driver that works in a licensed vehicle must also be licensed by Teignbridge District Council.
A licensed driver must wear a photographic identity badge at all times when they are working.
The council is required under the Local Accountability Act 2014 to participate in the National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercise. This means that personal licence data will be provided to the Cabinet Office for NFI and will be used for cross-system and cross-authority comparison purposes for the prevention and detection of fraud.
- you must be over 21 and have held a DVLA licence for at least 12 months
- an Immigration status check will be carried out. List of acceptable documents for right to licence
- you are required to have a Disclosure & Barring check (DBS) formerly known as criminal records bureau check (CRB). This is carried out online so you must provide an email address
- attend a medical examination and provide the completed medical report. This is to be carried out by someone who has access to your full medical history
- attend a medical examination and provide the completed insulin medical report, if applicable. This is to be carried out by someone who has access to your full insulin medical history
- provide a recent passport-sized photograph of yourself
- you must attend disability awareness training at the council offices
- you must pass a Driving Assessment Test for Private Hire/Hackney Carriage and upload the pass certificate to the Licensing section.
For the DBS check you will need to bring 3 forms of ID from the following:
- birth certificate
- current driving licence. If your driving licence does not show your current address, a proof of current address is required eg. utility bill, bank or building society statement, TV Licence
- current passport (if you have one)
- National Insurance Card or P60
- marriage certificate
A minimum of three forms of identity are required for the DBS check, please note two utility bills only counts as one form of identity. If you do not have the evidence of identity as stated or you require any further assistance please contact the licensing section.
If you have lived abroad you may need to apply for a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' from your Embassy, please refer to Item 4.4 in our licensing policy Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing policy, or ask a Licensing Officer about this.
A fee is payable for your application and for the DBS: see Hackney Carriage and Private Hire fees.
Start the journey
More info about the journey
Before starting your application you will need:
- debit/credit card
- completed medical report
- driving assessment certificate
- DBS certificate
- passport photo
- 3 forms of ID
After completing the application form you will receive a confirmation email from Licensing. Once we have received all documentation we will get in touch with the outcome.