2. How to apply for a taxi or private hire vehicle licence
Applying for a private hire operator's licence
If you are applying for a private hire vehicle licence you must also hold a private hire operators licence.
Applying for a new vehicle licence
How it works
- arrange a test: you must arrange for the vehicle to be tested at our Forde Road depot
- contact the workshop on 01626 215877 to arrange an appointment for the test
- email the licensing section of the date and time of your vehicle test
- on the day of your test: please come to Forde House reception half an hour before your test is due, and bring your vehicle documents, this includes V5/New Keepers Supplement or Bill of Sale, current MOT and Insurance
- please pay for your application at that time. You can make payment for your test by credit or debit card (we do not take cash).
- you will then be given a vehicle test sheet to take to the Forde Road depot for your test
- if your vehicle passes the depot will give you a pink pass sheet. Bring this back to the main offices and we will make the plate up for you on receipt of the pass sheet.
- your licence will be valid for 12 months
- if your vehicle fails the test you will not be issued with your plate until it has passed
Change of vehicle
Please complete one of these applications if you are changing your current licensed vehicle for a replacement vehicle
Transfer of vehicle
Please complete one of these applications if you are transferring your current licensed vehicle to another licensed driver.
A fee of £35 is payable for these applications plus the cost of a vehicle test (if required).