Taxis and private hire vehicle drivers licence application

The council is required under the Local Accountability Act 2014 to participate in the National Fraud Initiative (NFI) data matching exercise. This means that personal licence data will be provided to the Cabinet Office for NFI and will be used for cross-system and cross-authority comparison purposes for the prevention and detection of fraud.

How to apply for a licence

Please complete the application form in the New driver's application pack and contact us. You must make an appointment to see an officer.


  • you must be over 21 and have held a DVLA licence for at least 12 months
  • an Immigration status check will be carried out. List of acceptable documents for right to licence
  • you are required to have a Disclosure & Barring check (DBS) formerly known as criminal records bureau check (CRB). This is carried out online so you must provide an email address
  • attend a medical examination. This is to be carried out by someone who has access to your full medical history.
  • provide a recent passport-sized photograph of yourself
  • you must attend disability awareness training at the council offices
  • you must pass a Driving Assessment Test for Private Hire/Hackney Carriage and give the pass certificate to the Licensing section. Details of how to apply for the test and a booking form can be found in the new drivers application pack.

DBS check

For the DBS check you will need to bring 3 forms of ID from the following:

  • birth certificate
  • current driving licence. If your driving licence does not show your current address, a proof of current address is required eg. utility bill, bank or building society statement, TV Licence
  • current passport (if you have one)
  • National Insurance Card or P60
  • marriage certificate 

A minimum of three forms of identity are required for the DBS check, please note two utility bills only counts as one form of identity. If you do not have the evidence of identity as stated or you require any further assistance please contact the licensing section.

If you have lived abroad you may need to apply for a 'Certificate of Good Conduct' from your Embassy, please refer to Item 4.4 in our licensing policy Hackney Carriage and Private Hire Licensing policy, or ask a Licensing Officer about this.

A fee is payable for your application and for the DBS: see Hackney Carriage and Private Hire fees


When this content has been updated

Last updated 16 October 2018