New requirements of the Equality Act 2010 came into force on 6 April 2017.
Sections 165 to 167 of the Equality Act 2010 provide local authorities with the power to provide a list of wheelchair accessible vehicles (i.e. "designated vehicles"), and require the drivers of those vehicles to:
- carry the passenger while in the wheelchair;
- not to make any additional charge for doing so;
- if the passenger chooses to sit in a passenger seat to carry the wheelchair;
- to take such steps as are necessary to make sure that the passenger is carried in safety and reasonable comfort
- to give the passenger such mobility assistance as is reasonably required.
The Act defines mobility assistance as assistance:
- to help the passenger to get into or out of the vehicle;
- if the passenger wishes to remain in the wheelchair, to help the passenger to get into and out of the vehicle while in the wheelchair;
- to load the passenger's luggage into or out of the vehicle;
- if the passenger does not wish to remain in the wheelchair, to load the wheelchair into or out of the vehicle.
Section 165 of the Act do not apply to drivers who have a valid medical exemption certificate and are displaying valid exemption notices. The exemption is not transferable and if the vehicle is shared by another user you must make sure the notice is removed before somebody else uses the vehicle.
The exemption notice must be displayed on in the near side window for approaching passengers and wheelchair users to see.
List of designated wheelchair taxi accessible vehicles
The list of licensed hackney carriage and private hire vehicles designated for the purposes of Section 165 Equality Act 2010 as at June 2018.
A & A Taxis
Tel 01626 333999
License number: H056 LT06 THZ
Car make and model: London Taxi TXII Bronze
Tel: 01626 333333.
License number: H319 SF59
Car make and model: LNY Peugeot Expert
License number: H555 SF16
Car make and model: BCY Peugeot Eurobus
Tel: 01626 336404
License number: H612 SF16
Car make and model: ACZ Peugeot Expert