1. Local Plan: Overview
What is the Local Plan?
Our current Local Plan sets out the policies, proposals and actions for us to meet the environmental, social and economic challenges facing the area up to 2033. It runs from 2013 - 2033 and was adopted on 6 May 2014.
Why is the Plan being reviewed?
- requirement by law to review the Local Plan every 5 years
- ensures the Local Plan is up to date and reflects the changing needs of the area
- an ‘out-of-date’ Local Plan could be superseded by National Policy - this would mean that a “presumption in favour” of sustainable development would apply and development could occur on land not identified for development in the Local Plan.
Timescale for Review
The Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 has been prepared in three parts.
- The Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 1) was available for consultation between 23 March and 13 July 2020. It contained draft policies to guide decisions taken on proposed new development.
- The Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 2) Site Options was available for consultation between 28 June 2021 and 9 August 2021. It contained possible residential, employment and education development sites.
- The Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 3) Wind Turbine, Gypsy and Traveller and Small Residential Site Options was available for consultation between 15 November 2021 and 24 January 2022.
All of the comments that we have received during the consultations will be considered and taken into account during the preparation of the Proposed Submission Local Plan 2020-2040. The Proposed Submission Local Plan 2020-2040 will combine all Parts of the Draft Local Plan 2020-2040 and will be available for consultation in 2022. It will include a Consultation Statement that will set out how comments have been taken into account.
The full timescale is set out in the Local Development Scheme.