When this content has been published
Published on 31 July 2020
Supporting equality and the fight against racism
Councillors this week unanimously supported a motion moved by Cllr Nina Jeffries which acknowledged 'the current situation facing underrepresented groups in Teignbridge and seeks to support the work that is taking place UK wide to tackle racism and discrimination'.
The motion at Wednesday’s Annual Council meeting called for:
- The review of Teignbridge District Council’s Human Resources and Equalities practices and the inclusion of regular training for members and officers, to ensure the needs of underrepresented groups are met through addressing poverty and encouraging economic and social mobility:-
- [The Council to] Work with Devon County Council (DCC) to explore the prospect of making changes the curriculum to include BAME experiences, contributions, and the FACTs of History, throughout the year:-
- [The Council to] Explore the possibility of an education transformation project in conjunction with schools that creates a suite of curriculum resources specific to Teignbridge’s History:-
- [The Council to] Lobby Government to invest and resource changes to the curriculum across the UK through the support of organisations such as The Black Curriculum and via associated campaigns:-
- An advisory board [to be] put in place linked to the Equality Impact Assessment for the Covid -19 recovery plan, to connect the experiences of BAME individuals within the community with the aim of driving forward positive change:-
- [The Council to] In partnership with DCC, [to] conduct a review of street names and monuments within Teignbridge to assess where information plaques relevant to uncovering the history of Imperialism and links to slavery can be put in place as soon as possible: [and]
- [The Council to] Encourage Teignbridge organisations to contribute to diversity and social mobility through revising the Cllr Community Fund grants criteria to include (but not exclusively); projects that contribute to addressing inequalities and raising educational attainment within underrepresented groups.
It was agreed that the motion would be referred to Audit Scrutiny Committee, Overview and Scrutiny Committee, Executive and then back to Full Council.