Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Listed buildings

Show all parts of this guide

4. Advice on doing works to a listed building

If you are intending to do any works to a listed building, inside or outside, including curtilage buildings and curtilage walls you will probably need to apply for Listed Building Consent.

Important - Please note that the pre-application advice service described below is not available during the current coronavirus outbreak

Where your proposal requires planning permission as well as Listed Building Consent, then we recommend you get advice using our pre-planning application advice service

Where your proposal does not require planning permission you can get advice from the Conservation Officer, preferably by email.  If it is agreed that a site visit is necessary there will be a charge of £150

The following publications may be useful:

Listed Buildings advice note

Sash windows advice note

Casement windows advice note

Thatch in Devon

Cob Buildings - History, Building Methods and Conservation

Cob Dwellings - Compliance with Building Regulations

Cob Buildings - Finishes Guidance