Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Listed buildings

Show all parts of this guide

6. Energy Performance Certificates and Listed Buildings

Government guidance on Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) states that:

  • Existing dwellings require an EPC when they are sold or rented.
  • This includes listed buildings unless compliance with minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance.
  • Owners will need to take a view as to whether this will applies to their buildings.
  • Only an accredited energy assessor can lodge data on the domestic EPC register and produce an EPC.

The guidance suggests owners may wish to seek advice from our conservation officer. However, due to limited resources, we offer the following general advice:

The following works require listed building consent which is unlikely to be granted as they would unacceptably alter the character or appearance of the listed building:

  • double glazing
  • new doors and windows
  • wall or floor insulation
  • suspended ceilings
  • new external boiler flues
  • solar heating panels
  • wind turbines

The following works require listed building consent and might be acceptable:

  • secondary glazing
  • like for like replacement of windows which are beyond repair

The following works do not usually require listed building consent:

  • additional loft insulation
  • upgrading of heating controls and thermostats
  • installation of mains gas, provided the meter is inside the building
  • re-opening existing chimney and installation of woodburner
  • replacement of existing boiler/hot water cylinder using existing pipework / existing flue
  • Repair and refurbishment of existing windows on a like for like basis.

These lists are not exhaustive. Historic England and the Society of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) also have advice regarding energy efficiency in listed buildings on their websites .