1. What is a Land Charges search
When a ‘charge’ is created against a property or piece of land it is recorded on our Local Land Charges register. The term ‘charge’ relates to financial and non-financial matters.
If you are buying land or property your solicitor will request a local land charges search revealing any legal restrictions affecting the land or property which will be binding and enforceable against you.
We deal with land charges searches for the whole of Teignbridge including the part which falls within Dartmoor National Park. Our searches are indemnified and normally completed within 5 working days or sooner.
A full land charges search is made up of two parts
- LLC1 - a request for a Search of the Local Land Charges Register revealing 'charges'. It does not show everything that affects a property, so the CON29 is also needed.
- CON29 - a set of standard enquiries that are considered relevant in every property transaction.
Optional questions known as CON29O can also be asked but are only appropriate in certain circumstances and your solicitor will only request the individual CON29O questions that he/she considers necessary.
We do not deal with the following types of enquiries:
- drainage enquiries - please contact South West Water using form CON 29DW at email@example.com
- highways enquiries - please contact Devon County Council Highways at firstname.lastname@example.org
- whilst we reveal planning information for Dartmoor National Park , if you have any planning questions, you need to contact their planning department direct
- boundary disputes - please contact HM Land Registry in Plymouth