10. Infrastructure Delivery
New Infrastructure provided in the plan area
The provision of necessary infrastructure is vital to the development and accessibility of the area, we are actively working with Neighbouring Authorities, Devon County Council, Homes England, the Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and service providers to secure he necessary infrastructure. A number of the larger Local Plan allocations require key pieces of infrastructure to facilitate their delivery and achieve quality.
We are working with partners to deliver Infrastructure through other means, particularly through bidding for funding for their provision or match funding to secure earlier delivery.
The Infrastructure Delivery Plan (IDP) identifies infrastructure that is needed to support development growth. It also records projects that have been completed, this was last reviewed in February 2019. Recent achievements include completions or significant progress on the following.
- Progress has still been taking place for the Ridgetop Park, part of the South West Exeter development and hopefully the first phases will be open to the public by the end of Spring 2021
- The new school at Buckland, Newton Abbot has opened to new pupils in September 2020. Glendinning House Academy is a special school for children aged 7 to 19 years, with social communication and interaction needs including Autism Spectrum Condition. The purpose-built school is complete with a forest school, animals and a pond designed with the sensory needs of children at its heart.
- Planning permission was secured for a new link road from A382 to A383 which will open up more land for development
- Temporary traffic lights have been installed within Newton Abbot during the Covid 19 pandemic, to help with green movement around the town, if found successful they may remain in place and be made permanent
- The planning application preparation for the Teign Estuary Trail is underway and is due for submission by the end of the financial year 2020/21
- Work has almost finished for the new sea defence wall at Dawlish and is now open for the public to enjoy. Planning permission has been secured for further works including upgrading the train station
- Works to the football pitches at Decoy, Newton Abbot have been completed
- Newton’s place the new museum/information centre for Newton Abbot has also been completed and opened in October 2020
- Planning permission for a bridge over the railway in Newton Abbot has been approved to give direct access to/from Brunel Industrial Estate
- Works have commenced on the development for 1350 dwellings part of South West Exeter development in Exminster
Further details can be found in the first Infrastructure Funding Statement which was published in December 2020.