1. Current Local Plan: Overview
What is the Local Plan?
Our Local Plan sets out the policies, proposals and actions for us to meet the environmental, social and economic challenges facing the area up to 2033. It runs from 2013 - 2033 and was adopted on 6 May 2014.
Why is the Plan being reviewed?
- requirement by law to review the Plan every 5 years
- ensures the Local Plan is up to date and reflects the changing needs of the area
- studies will be carried out into: housing, employment, transport, flooding, infrastructure capabilities, settlement boundaries, leisure and recreation
- the end date of the Plan will be extended to 2040 to bring it in line with the Greater Exeter Strategic Plan (GESP)
- an ‘out-of-date’ Local Plan could be superseded by National Policy
- this would mean that a presumption in favour of sustainable development would apply and development could occur on land not identified in the Local Plan
Timescale for Review:
- the consultation period runs from 9am, Monday 21 May 2018 until 5pm, Monday 16 July 2018
- the preparation timetable for the Local Plan review is as follows:
- January 2020 – Consultation on draft Plan
- November 2021 – Publication (proposed submission)
- April 2022 – Submission
- July 2022 – Inspector’s Hearings
- December 2022 - Adoption
How to get involved:
- attend one of our roadshows, to be held at eleven locations around the District in June 2018
- read the Plan Review documents, which can be found on our website or in physical form at one of the following locations
- comment on the Review Document via the links found in the following sections
How will your information be used?
- all comments received in writing (including email) during the consultation period will be considered in preparing the next stage of the Local Plan Review (Draft Plan)
- please note that any comments received through Twitter or Facebook will not be considered formal representation for the purpose of this consultation
- information provided will only be used by us for the purposes of the Local Plan Review
- anyone submitting information will have their personal data held in a secure database used for planning policy consultation purposes only