7. What we have previously consulted on
- The Local Plan Review Issues Paper 2018 was available for consultation between 21 May and 16 July 2018. It set out the main issues affecting the District and those likely to affect it up until 2040. See below for documents.
- The Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 1) was available for consultation between Monday 23 March and Monday 13 July 2020. It contained draft policies to guide decisions taken on proposed new development. See below for documents.
- The Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 2) Site Options was available for consultation between Monday 28 June 2021 and Monday 9 August 2021. It contained possible residential, employment and education development sites. See below for documents.
- The Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 3) Although we previously asked for comments on residential sites as part of the Draft Local Plan 2020-2040 (Part 2) consultation, national government requires at least 10% of our housing to be built on small sites, of 1 hectare or less. This is to provide a range of site sizes to appeal to different types of developers/builders. Therefore, the Part 3 consultation focussed on some additional small sites for residential development, as well as sites for wind turbine and gypsy and traveller development.
- The Proposed Submission Local Plan 2020 – 2040 Regulation 19 Consultation (January 2023) sets out policies for how development will be managed in the district, and includes site allocations for new housing, employment premises, gypsy and traveller pitches, and wind turbines.
You can view the Local Plan Review Issues Paper 2018:
- The Local Plan Review: Issues Paper 2018
- The SA/SEA Scoping Report on the Local Plan Review Issues Paper
- The HRA Screening determination on the Local Plan Review Issues Paper
- The Draft Settlement Boundary Review
- The Draft Settlement Hierarchy Review
- The updated Statement of Community Involvement 2018
You can view the Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 1):
- Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 1)
- Local Plan Review Need to Know Guide
- Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment - Stage A Report
- Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment - Stage B Report
- Consultation Statement
- Settlement Hierarchy Review
- Habitat Regulations Assessment Statement
- Statement of Representation Procedure
- Temporary changes to the Statement of Community Involvement
Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 1) Maps
- Bovey Tracey and Chudleigh
- Heart of Teignbridge
- Rural Areas North
- Rural Areas South
- Teignmouth and Dawlish
You can view the Draft Local Plan Review 2020-2040 (Part 2) Site Options:
Chapter 1: Introduction
Chapter 2: Development Strategy
Chapter 3: Urban Renewal Site Options
Chapter 4: Housing Site Options in the Heart of Teignbridge
Chapter 5: Housing Site Options in the Coastal Towns
Chapter 6: Housing Site Options in the Rural Towns
Chapter 7: Housing Site Options on the Edge of Exeter
Chapter 8.1: Housing Site Options for Villages (A-E)
Chapter 8.2: Housing Site Options for Villages (I-Z)
Chapter 9: Employment Site Options
Chapter 10: Gypsy and Traveller Pitch Provision
Chapter 11: Low Carbon
Chapter 12: Secondary School Options for Newton Abbot
Appendix 1: Saved Allocations
- Draft Local Plan 2020-2040 (Part 2) - Site Options Consultation
- Sustainability Appraisal and Strategic Environmental Assessment
- SA /SEA Appendices
- Appendix A - Scoring Assumptions for Residential Sites
- Appendix B - Scoring Assumptions for Employment Sites
- Appendix C - Scoring Assumptions for School Sites
- Appendix D(a) - SA assessment of residential site options (Towns and edge of Exeter)
- Appendix D(b) - SA assessment of residential site options (Villages)
- Appendix E - SA assessment of Employment site options
- Appendix F - SA assessment of Newton Abbot Secondary Site Options
- Appendix G - SA assessment of development distribution scenarios
- Habitat Regulations Assessment – Initial Site Options Screening
- Consultation Statement
- Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA)
- Sustainable Village Development Distribution Strategy
- Low carbon evidence base
Full Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA)
Draft Local Plan Review (Part 3) - Renewable Energy, Gypsy and Travellers and Residential Sites Options – Consultation CLOSED
This consultation ran for 10 weeks from 15 November 2021 until 24 January 2022.
Although we previously asked for comments on residential sites as part of the Draft Local Plan 2020-2040 (Part 2) consultation, national government requires at least 10% of our housing to be built on small sites, of 1 hectare or less. This is to provide a range of site sizes to appeal to different types of developers/builders. Therefore, the Part 3 consultation focused on some additional small sites for residential development, as well as sites for wind turbine, solar and gypsy and traveller development.
The Draft Local Plan (Part 3) set out options for where different types of development could be located. The information included within the plan shows all of the development options that are available for public comment, including:
- potential sites for wind turbines and solar,
- a potential gypsy and traveller site and
- potential small residential sites
Information also includes each of the different site options, including the proposed use, a map, and the sensitivities affecting each site.
No decisions have yet been taken as to where development might take place. The purpose of the consultation was to seek views on the options for development.
The following documents were included in the consultation:
Draft Local Plan 2020-2040 (Part 3) – Wind Sites Options, Gypsy and Traveller Site Option and Small Residential Sites Options
- Renewable Energy – Wind
- Renewable Energy – Solar
- Providing for Gypsies and Travellers
- Small Residential Sites
SA/SEA of the Teignbridge Local Plan
- Stage B Report of the SA/SEA for Part 3
- Appendix A - SA Assessment of Wind Sites
- Appendix B – SA Assessment of Small residential Sites
- Appendix C - SA Assessment of Gypsy and Traveller Sites
- Appendix D - SA Methodology for Renewable Energy Sites
- Appendix E - SA Methodology for Small sites and Gypsy and traveller sites
HRA of the Teignbridge Local Plan
- Need to know Guide
- Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA)
- Low Carbon Evidence Base
All of the comments that we have received during this consultation will be considered, along with all comments that we have received during our previous consultations, and this feedback will help to produce the next version of the Local Plan 2020-2040. This version, which is called the “Proposed Submission Local Plan 2020-2040”, will combine Parts 1, 2 and 3 of the Draft Local Plan. When we publish this, we will also publish a Consultation Statement, which sets out how we have taken all of the comments we have received into account when preparing the Plan.
The Housing and Economic Land Availability Assessment (HELAA) is a catalogue of all the individual sites that have been assessed in relation to their development potential.
Sites were submitted under the Call for Sites that took place in 2017 and 2018 for residential and employment sites, and more recently in 2021 for small residential sites and gypsy and traveller sites. The HELAA provides evidence for the Local Plan.
We published the original HELAA (containing sites from the 2017 and 2018 Call for Sites) with our Part 2 Site Options consultation in June 2021. This can be found in Section 4 “What we have previously consulted on”.
The Small Sites and Gypsy and Traveller Sites HELAA contains assessments of the sites submitted during the 2021 Call for Sites. It also contains re-assessed sites from the original HELAA that were not included as a site option in the Part 2 Local Plan and that met the criteria contained in the Small Sites HELAA Methodology.
Proposed Submission Local Plan 2020-2040 (Regulations 19)
Chapter 1: General Policies
Chapter 2: Climate Change
Chapter 3: Design and Wellbeing
Chapter 4: Economy
Chapter 5: Homes
Chapter 6: Environment
Chapter 7: Site Allocations - Overview
Chapter 9: Edge of Exeter
Chapter 10: Coastal Towns
Chapter 11: Rural Towns
Chapter 12: Villages
Appendix 1: Superseded and Extant Policies
Appendix 2: Useful Terms
Appendix 3: Housing Trajectory
Appendix 4: District Design Code
Appendix 5: Illustrative Concept Plans
Use this short ‘Need to Know Guide’ to find out what’s in the Plan.
The following documents were available for comment:
- Proposed Submission Local Plan 2020-2040
- Policies Map
- Sustainability Appraisal/Strategic Environmental Assessment
A range of supporting documents provide additional information and evidence which have informed the Plan.
Local Plan Short Videos
If you want a quick tour of the Local Plan (Part 1) and each of it’s chapters, why not have a look at the short videos we’ve made:
A Quick Tour
The Local Plan
Chapter 1: Making Sense of our Plans
Chapter 2: Sustainable Communities
Chapter 3: Climate Change
Chapter 4: Design and wellbeing
Chapter 5: Economy
Chapter 6: Homes
Chapter 7: Environment