Applying and guidance for planning applications

Show all parts of this guide

1. Do I need planning permission?

Most dwellings (excluding flats) have Permitted Development Rights which allow you to do certain small works without applying for planning permission. However sometimes these have been removed or other restrictions apply.

Follow the link to see if there are any restrictions on your property preventing you from using permitted development rights.

A previous planning permission may also impose restrictions eg. preventing the conversion of a garage to living accommodation etc. You can view previous decisions by doing a planning search by address.

Click 'Start' to see what can be done under Permitted Development Rights. This will take you to the government website which has common projects and an interactive house. You must have checked (using the link above) for any restrictions on your property first.

Please see the 'alternatively you can' section at the bottom of this page if you would rather apply for written advice (chargeable) or have a general discussion over the phone/by appointment (householders only).

If your property is listed, you will also need listed building consent for any works.

You may also need to contact Devon Building Control Partnership about Building Regulations Consent for your project.


Start the journey


More info about the journey

Alternatively you can...

Pay a £36 fee for informal written advice as to whether or not planning permission is required

Submit a formal Certificate of Lawfulness for Proposed Development to receive a formal determination. The fee for this is half the planning fee. You can submit this via the Applying for Planning Permission webpage.

The above options will only give you an answer as to whether or not planning permission is required. 

If you want advice about the likely outcome of any subsequent planning application you will need to submit and pay for pre-application advice

General verbal advice on householder developments or impact of neighbouring developments

Teignbridge residents can phone for a discussion on 01626 215735, or to book a face-to-face appointment with a duty officer. Telephone calls will returned in the order received, which may not be the same day. Appointments are a maximum of 20 minutes long and are available each afternoon, from 1pm every half hour, until 3:30pm as the offices are closed at 4pm. 

We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected by adhering to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). 

Any personal information provided will be used by us solely for the purpose of offering planning advice and contacting you regarding this.

Otherwise your personal information will not be disclosed to anybody outside Teignbridge District Council without your permission, unless there is a lawful reason to do so, for example disclosure is necessary for crime prevention or detection.

The data will be stored and retained in accordance with our full privacy policy.