Guide to planning permission

Show all parts of this guide

1. Do I need planning permission?

Most dwellings (excluding flats) have Permitted Development Rights which allow you to do small works without applying for planning permission. However sometimes these have been removed or other restrictions apply.

Follow the link to see if there are any restrictions on your property preventing you from using permitted development rights.

A previous planning permission may also have restrictions eg. preventing the conversion of a garage to living accommodation etc. You can view previous decisions by doing a planning search by address

You may also need to contact Devon Building Control Partnership about Building Regulations Consent for your project.

If your property is listed, you will also need listed building consent for any works.

Click 'Start' to see what can be done under Permitted Development Rights. This will take you to the government website which has common projects and an interactive house. You must have checked (link above) for any restrictions on your property first.



Start the journey


More info about the journey

Alternatively you can...

Alternatively you can email for an informal written response to your permitted development enquiry.  Please note that with effect from 1 July 2017 there will be a fee of £30 for this service.

See a duty officer for general verbal advice to Teignbridge residents for householder developments, or impact of neighbouring developments for a maximum of 20 minutes from 1pm daily until 4:40 pm Mon to Thurs, or 4:20pm Fri.

Submit a formal Certificate of Lawfulness for Proposed Development to receive a formal determination.  The fee for this is half the planning fee. You can submit this via the Applying for Planning Permission webpage