Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Waste and recycling collections

We are currently experiencing delays on a number of refuse, recycling and garden waste rounds. If the whole street has been missed we will be aware and will return as soon as possible. Please leave the bins/containers out for collection.

Planning advice

Show all parts of this guide

1. Do I need planning permission?

Please note we do not provide verbal or written advice as to whether or not your proposed development needs planning permission.  To find this out you can either self help, or submit a Lawful Development Certificate or seek advice from a planning agent.

How to self help and obtain the information

For householders, most dwellings (excluding flats) have Permitted Development Rights which allow you to do certain small works without applying for planning permission. However sometimes these have been removed or other restrictions apply which prevent you from using permitted development rights.

Business or commercial premises may also do some works, including some changes of use, under permitted development

Follow this link to view any restrictions on your property such as PD rights removed, protected trees, conservation area

A previous planning permission may also impose restrictions e.g. preventing the conversion of a garage to living accommodation etc. You can view previous decisions by doing a planning search by address.

The following websites are a good source of information about when planning permission is needed:

How to get written legal confirmation

If you want written legal confirmation you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate from our Apply for planning permission page.  You will need to submit plans of the location, floor plans and elevations with your application and pay the fee which is half of the relevant planning application fee.

Other consents needed

If your property is listed, you will also need listed building consent for any works.

You may also need to contact Devon Building Control Partnership about Building Regulations Consent for your project.