Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Planning advice

Show all parts of this guide

1. Do I need planning permission?

For householders, most dwellings (excluding flats) have Permitted Development Rights which allow you to do certain small works without applying for planning permission. However sometimes these have been removed or other restrictions apply which prevent you from using permitted development rights.

Business or commercial premises may also do some works, including some changes of use, under permitted development. This includes solar panels or other carbon reduction projects.

We do not provide verbal or written advice as to whether or not your proposed development needs planning permission. To find this out you have three options:

  • You can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for Proposed Use or Operation, which costs half the normal planning fee and will give you a formal decision as to whether or not planning permission is required. You will need to submit  a site location plan together with other plans showing the existing property and the proposed works e.g. floor plans and elevations. You can apply for planning permission using the Planning Portal where you will see options of the type of application you wish to make.
  • You can employ the assistance of a planning agent who can give you advice and submit any necessary planning applications on your behalf.
  • You can self help and obtain the information online using the advice and links below

How to self help and obtain the information

Other consents needed

If your property is listed, you will also need listed building consent for any works.

You may also need to contact Devon Building Control Partnership about Building Regulations Consent for your project.