4. Who makes the planning decision?
Around 90% of decisions are made by Planning Officers under delegated powers and only around 10% are considered at a Planning Committee Meeting.
Applications are only considered by the Planning Committee for one of the following reasons:
- at the request of a Ward Member for the Ward in which the application is sited or a neighbouring Ward, for a valid planning reason
- at the request of the Chairman of Planning Committee, for a valid planning reason
- at the request of Parish/Town Council for the Parish in which the application is sited, for a valid planning reason
- if it is a major application (10 or more dwellings/site area 0.5 hectares or more/floor space 1,000 square metres or more) which is recommended for approval and is a departure from the Development Plan
- if a member of staff or councillor is the applicant or owns the site
Planning Committee Meetings are normally held monthly and are currently held virtually and broadcast on the TeignbridgeDC YouTube Channel.
Anyone who has commented on an application that goes to a planning committee meeting will be advised by email or letter and anyone may apply to speak at the planning committee meeting
The committee report will be published 5 days before the meeting. Any late representations received by noon on the Friday before the meeting will be included in a late updates sheet. Any representations received after this time will not be considered.
The Committee Report (from the agenda) and decision (from the minutes) can also be viewed on each application at view and comment on planning applications