Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.


Show all parts of this guide

3. My neighbour's hedge is blocking my view/light

If you are troubled by someone else's hedge the best way to deal with the issue is to talk to them about it.  The government web page Over the garden hedge gives guidance on how to agree a solution.

If you have taken all reasonable steps to try to settle your dispute you can, as a last resort, complaint to the council under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003.

We can only get involved once you have tried and exhausted all other avenues to resolve your dispute.  You must provide proof of this and the attempts must be recent, within the last couple of months.

Our role is to act as an independent and impartial adjudicator. We cannot negotiate or mediate between parties.

The government web page High hedges: complaining to the council explains when we can get involved

If you have taken all the steps listed in Over the garden hedge and can yes to all of the following points we are likely to be able to consider your complaint.

Is the hedge:

  • growing on land owned or occupied by someone else?
  • made up of a line of 2 or more trees or shrubs?
  • more than 2 metres tall
  • mostly evergreen or semi-evergreen?
  • a barrier to light or access (even if there are gaps)?
  • you must have proof of the attempts you have made to resolve the dispute

Does the hedge's height harm the reasonable enjoyment of a home you own or occupy and/or its garden or yard

Are you the owner or occupier of this domestic property?

If, after ensuring you have met the above criteria, you still wish to complain you must complete the High Hedges Complaint form using the High Hedges guidance notes. You must also pay the fee of £750.  If we consider that the above steps have not been met we will reject your complaint.

We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected by adhering to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). 

Any personal information provided will be used by us solely for the purpose of processing your complaint and contacting you regarding this.

The data will be stored and retained in accordance with our full privacy policy.