Show all parts of this guide

3. My neighbour's hedge is blocking my view/light

You can make a formal complaint about your neighbour's hedge under the Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003.

We can only get involved once you have tried and exhausted all other avenues to resolve your dispute. 

Our role is to act as an independent and impartial adjudicator. We cannot negotiate or mediate between parties.

You must be able to answer yes to all of the following points before we can get involved.

  • the hedge must be on residential land owned by your immediate neighbour
  • it must be made up of a line of 2 or more trees over 2 metres in height
  • it must be mostly evergreen
  • there may be gaps but it must be detracting from the reasonable enjoyment of your home or garden because it is too tall and is obstructing light or views
  • you must have proof of the attempts you have made to resolve the dispute

If you wish to complain you must complete the High Hedges Complaint form using the High Hedges guidance notes. You must also pay the relevant fee by card or bank transfer

We are committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected by adhering to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). 

Any personal information provided will be used by us solely for the purpose of processing your complaint and contacting you regarding this.

The data will be stored and retained in accordance with our full privacy policy.