Cookies information

We use cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.


Show all parts of this guide

1. Help and advice about trees

If the tree is on privately owned land then we recommend that you employ a tree surgeon for any advice or works as we do not offer this service.

If you wish to do work to a protected tree then you will also need to apply to us for permission. 

If the tree is on a highway, or poses a hazard to a highway, you will need to contact Devon County Council

Advice about trees on Teignbridge District Council land.

Forestry Commission advice about tree conditions

Ash dieback disease (Chalara fraxinea)

The forestry commission provide the following advice on Ash dieback disease

Sweet chestnut blight (Cryphonectria parasitica)

Following a recent outbreak in Teignbridge the forestry commission have provided the following urgent advice on their website regarding Sweet Chestnut blight.

Please check your Sweet Chestnut trees and use Tree Alert to report finding any trees with symptoms of sweet chestnut blight.

Please be aware that movement of Sweet Chestnut and Oak trees/timber has been restricted within the Starcross area.

Advice for caring for trees

Pruning, to overcome problems such as loss of light and safety can, if poorly done, result in trees being disfigured and, in extreme cases, become more dangerous.

Different species of trees respond differently to pruning and, in some cases, if pruning is applied too heavily, some trees may die as a result. Generally, tree surgery needs to be applied sensitively to prevent unfavourable growth responses, failure of stems and branches or further problems arising.

Various organisations provide lists of approved tree surgeons and advice on engaging their services. Visit The Arboricultural Association or The International Society of Arboriculture.