4. Who makes the planning decision?
Around 90% of decisions are made by Planning Officers under delegated powers and only around 10% are considered at a Planning Committee Meeting.
Applications are only considered by the Planning Committee for one of the following reasons:
- at the request of a Ward Member for the Ward in which the application is sited or a neighbouring Ward, for a valid planning reason
- at the request of the Chairman of Planning Committee, for a valid planning reason
- at the request of Parish/Town Council for the Parish in which the application is sited, for a valid planning reason
- if it is a major application (10 or more dwellings/site area 0.5 hectares or more/floor space 1,000 square metres or more) which is recommended for approval and is a departure from the Development Plan
- if a member of staff or councillor is the applicant or owns the site
Planning Committee Meetings are normally held monthly and are currently held virtually and broadcast on the TeignbridgeDC YouTube Channel.
If an application goes to committee anyone who has commented on the application will be notified of the committee date and time and advised that they may apply to speak at the planning committee meeting
All comments already made will be summarised in the committee report and so there is no requirement to send further comments for planning committee.
Any comments received after the report has been written and before midnight on the Thursday prior to committee will be included in a late updates sheet. Any comments received after this time cannot be considered.
The agenda will be published 5 days before the committee. The Committee Report (from the agenda), late updates sheet (normally uploaded on the Friday afternoon before committee) and decision (from the minutes) will be uploaded to the planning file at view and comment on planning applications
For dates of future committees and all agendas and minutes please see Committee dates, agendas and minutes.