Council tax bands and spending explained

We collect Council Tax not only to help fund our own services, but services provided by others too.

Public services have had to make big savings, while continuing to provide vital local services and support the most vulnerable in our communities. This webpage shows you a breakdown of what goes where.  

How the bands are set

The amount of council tax that you have to pay is determined by the valuation band of your home. The bands range from A (lowest) to H (highest) with the values based on the central band D charge.

The full charge is made up by five separate charges (called 'precepts') as follows:


Band 'D' charge for 2017/2018

Devon County Council

Adult Social Care*



Devon and Cornwall Police & Crime Commissioner


Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Authority


Teignbridge District Council


Your town or parish council

Varies according to the Parish you live in

*The council tax attributable to Devon County Council includes this precept to fund adult social care.

We collect your council tax on behalf of Devon County Council, ourselves (Teignbridge District Council), Police and Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall, Devon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Authority and town and parish councils.

This year for an average band D property your council tax will be £1,685.94

There are five town councils that have precepts over £140,000 and more detailed information on their budgets can be found by selecting the relevant town council name :

Bovey Tracey



Newton Abbot



What goes where 2017/18

The council tax collected per property is divided up as follows:

72% Devon County Council for: Education, roads, care for the elderly and disabled, child protection, public health, libraries, recycling centres and waste disposal

9% Teignbridge District Council for: Refuse collection and kerbside recycling, housing, planning, street cleaning, leisure

10% Office of the Police Crime Commissioner for Devon and Cornwall for: Law and order and crime reduction

5% Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Authority for: Fire prevention, fire and rescue

4% Town and Parish Councils for: Local amenities

Where does the money go?

Teignbridge District Council plans to spend £67.041m gross (£67.350m 2016/17) this year on providing services. £59.415m (£60.089m 2016/17) of this comes from income we receive from grants, fees and charges which leaves a council tax requirement of £7.626m (£7.261m 2016/17).

Like many other authorities, Teignbridge is dealing with a changing financial landscape and the main government grant, revenue support grant, will be gone completely by 2019/2020.

The decrease in the 2017/18 gross budget is mainly due to contributing £620,000 less to capital. There is the increase in statutory national living wage and approved 1% pay award for other staff, plus higher employer pension contributions - together costing £520,000 in total. Revenue support grant has gone down by £750,000 this year and New Homes Bonus – another important government grant - has reduced by £410,000. Additional savings and income are planned alongside the 3.2% council tax increase. We’re also using reserves to balance the budget.

This means the Teignbridge element of Council Tax year is £160.17 for an average Band D property.

You can pay your Council Tax by 12 monthly instalments between April and March.

If you wish to take up this option you will need to contact us on 01626 215000 when you receive your annual bill in March 2017.

A bill is issued in the March of each year detailing the instalments for the forthcoming year.

Follow this link for information regarding the budget for Devon County Council

Follow this link for information regarding the budget for Devon and Cornwall PCC

If there is a failure to pay the amounts as billed they will become subject to recovery action.

What does Teignbridge do for you?

We recycle your household waste, take away your rubbish, clean your streets, make sure your food is safe, work with others to reduce crime, decide planning applications, create and attract new jobs, consider licensing applications, support people in need with housing and council tax reduction schemes, and encourage voluntary organisations.

We work with a whole range of organisations to do things like support public transport and greener travel like cycle routes, protect the environment, look after your street signs, administer council tax for just under 25,000 households, look after homeless families, and work with our partners to provide affordable housing, deliver new jobs and bring prosperity to the area.

We organise elections, improve housing conditions for vulnerable households, promote better energy efficiency, deal with stray dogs, graffiti and fly-tipping, provide renovation grants for unfit properties, deal with noise complaints, provide car parks, check out bonfire nuisances, look after more than 127,000 people across 260 square miles of land, stretching from the moor to the sea. 


When this content has been updated

Last updated 24 March 2017