Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

A-Z of waste and materials

Show all parts of this page

When this content has been published

Published on 19 September 2016



Bags of unrecyclable household waste should be placed in your black general waste bin for collection. We operate a strict no side-refuse policy. We can offer special 'one-off' collections' of side refuse collection, but this must be arranged in advance.

Baths and basins

Bathroom suites can be taken to your local recycling centre providing any renovations have been done yourself. Please note these items are chargeable. Cast iron baths are also accepted by scrap metal dealers or salvage companies. 

Batteries - car 

Car batteries can be taken to your local recycling centre. Car batteries are classed as 'hazardous waste' so cannot be disposed of in your black general waste bin at home.

Batteries - home

General household batteries can be recycled in your green recycling box. Please place these in a clear plastic bag. 


We provide a bulky waste collection service which is an additional chargeable service. Bulky waste can be taken to a recycling centre, and if the item is re-usable then some charities such as Refurnish will happily take them. Unwanted beds can also be advertised on a site such as Gumtree, Preloved, Freegle or Freecycle.


Bikes are accepted at your local recycling centre, and will either be placed in the reuse shop or recycled depending on the condition.

Please also see bike repair schemes to see if your bike can be repaired before disposing of it.

Birthday cards

Can be recycled in your green recycling box. Please make sure there are no cards containing foil or synthetic materials which cannot be recycled. Many charity shops operate Christmas card collections to help raise money. 

Biscuit tins

Can be recycled in your black recycling box. Please remove any plastic packaging around or inside the tin.  


Clothes and textiles can be put in a carrier bag, tied up and left next to your recycling boxes on your usual recycling day.


Chemicals eg. weed killers, pesticides, white spirits, bleaches, old medicines and any other household chemicals must be taken to your local recycling centre and must be in a securely labelled container to be placed in the hazardous waste store. There is a limit of 5 litres.

Bones - food waste

Bones (from kitchen waste) can be recycled through your food waste container

Books - soft back

Soft back books can be recycled as part of your household collection by placing them in your reusable sack for paper. Alternatively, these could be taken to a charity shop recycling bank or a recycling centre.

Books - hardback

Hard back books can be taken to your local recycling centre, book recycling bank or to charity shops. We cannot take these as part of the box recycling scheme due to the hard backs.

Bottles - glass

These can be recycled in your green recycling box. Please rinse. Alternatively, glass bottles can be taken to a recycling centre or glass bottle recycling bank.

Bottles - plastic

Plastic bottles can be put in your black recycling box, please rinse and squash before loosely replacing the lids. Alternatively they can be taken to a recycling centre or one of the plastic bottle recycling banks located across the district.


Good quality bric-a-brac can be given to charity shops for re-sale. Alternatively items can be taken to your nearest recycling centre. Try ReFurnish if the goods are still in working order.


These can be recycled as part of your household collection by placing in your reusable sack for paper. Alternatively you could recycle them at your local recycling centre or paper recycling bank.

Broken plates

Please wrap them carefully and place in your black general waste bin.

Brown paper

Brown paper can be recycled along with your cardboard in your green recycling box.

Building rubble

Rubble/hardcore, soil and general construction waste can be taken to a recycling centre. This is classified as chargeable waste.