Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

A-Z of waste and materials

Show all parts of this page

When this content has been published

Published on 19 September 2016

T - Z



Waste oil and oil tanks are considered to be hazardous waste, whether oil from home, cooking or engine. The tanks are from oil central heating systems in older houses. They will only usually need disposing of when the system is replaced with an alternative energy source such as gas. We would advise that often the best way to get rid of an unwanted oil tank is to advertise it in the small ads of a local paper. Household Waste Recycling Centres will not accept central heating oil tanks. They are not counted as normal Household Waste.


If the item is still usable, it could either be sold on or donated to a charity shop. Most electrical items have a symbol of a crossed-out wheelie bin on them - these items should not be sent to landfill. If the item is beyond repair we can offer a bulky waste collection service or you can take it to a recycling centre.


Clothes and textiles can be put in a carrier bag, tied up and left next to your recycling boxes on your usual recycling day. 


Timber cannot be recycled as part of the collection scheme, it should ideally be reused or taken to your local recycling centre.


Food and drinks cans only can recycled in your black recycling box. Alternatively, they can be taken to your local recycling centre or recycling bank. We do not accept paint tins as part of the kerbside collection service.

Tissue paper

In normal household quantities, tissues are fine in your outdoor food waste container. In large amounts, please put in the black general waste bin as too much will affect the quality of the material being sent to the anaerobic digestion facility.

Toner cartridges

Toner cartridges for laser printers, plain paper fax machines and photocopiers can be returned to companies for cleaning, refilling and reuse. Almost 90% of printer and copier cartridges can be reused or recycled. We also collect print cartridges in the green recycling box as part of our kerbside collection service.

Toxic waste

Examples of hazardous waste likely to come from a household are: car batteries, engine oil, garden chemicals, bleach or other strong cleaners/disinfectants, asbestos, gas bottles and solvents (including paint strippers/thinners). This list is not definitive, and if you have particular concerns about a type of waste you can contact the Environment Agency. All recycling centres will accept these items provided they are from households, except for asbestos (see A for Asbestos info).

Toys and games

Check to see if toys in good condition are wanted by charity shops, children's homes, play schools, hospitals and jumble sales.

Trade waste

Teignbridge Council does not operate a trade waste collection service. Trade waste and recycling has to be dealt with separately, trade recyclables (garden waste & cardboard) are chargeable by prior arrangement with Devon County Council at certain recycling sites, otherwise Trade waste and recycling service providers need to be arranged. 



uPVC can be recycled at the Brunel Road recycling centre in Newton Abbot.


Wrapping paper

Wrapping made of paper can be recycled from home as part of your cardboard collection in your green recycling box, or taken to any of our cardboard recycling banks. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept wrapping paper in your reusable sack. All wrapping paper needs to go in with your cardboard in your green recycling box. We can only accept paper wrapping paper, wrapping that contains foil or glitter will need to be disposed of in your black bin.


Yellow pages

Yellow Pages can be placed in your reusable sack for paper for recycling.