1. Food waste container
Your food waste container is emptied weekly on your collection day alongside your recycling boxes.
How do I use my food waste container?
- use a kitchen caddy to store your food waste in your kitchen
- once your kitchen caddy is full, put the contents in your blue outdoor food waste container
- lock the container by leaving the handle in the upright position or fully forward
How do I keep my food waste container clean?
- we recommend lining your kitchen caddy or food waste container to keep it clean.
- containers can be lined with any plastic bag including the following;
- supermarket carrier bags
- pedal bin liners
- bread bags
- compostable liners can also be used
- alternatively, food waste can be wrapped in small amounts of newspaper
- food waste can be put in your container loose, however, whilst our collection crews make every effort to shake out all of the contents, some residue may be left behind. Our crews do not scrape out or clean containers. If you choose to put food waste loose into your container we recommend that it is cleaned regularly to prevent build-up of residue.
What can I put in my food waste container?
- bread and pastries
- egg shells
- meat and bones
- tea bags and coffee grounds
- fruit and vegetables
- cut flowers
- plastic film
- cardboard (this can be recycled in your green box)
- newspaper (this can be recycled in your reusable sack for paper)
- cat or dog faeces
- large amounts of kitchen roll and tissue
- liquid waste
- compostable packaging