About Self Build
We are committed to supporting access to both affordable and market housing for local people. This includes supporting people wishing to build their own homes.
Self build housing, also known as Custom Build, typically involves individuals commissioning the construction of a new house from a builder, contractor, package company or physically building a house for themselves.
It also includes community-led housing projects who build mostly affordable homes for the benefit of the community, either individually or in cooperation with a builder or housing provider. Residential refurbishment projects involving the conversion or regeneration of disused buildings may also be considered part of Custom Build housing.
Register Your Interest in a Plot
To register your interest in a self build plot in Teignbridge click the orange button below.
Teignbridge is the first council to adopt policy on self build homes
Teignbridge District Council is delivering on its promise to help people design and build their own dream home, with the formal adoption of its Custom and Self Build Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) by Teignbridge's Executive Committee on 19 July 2016.
The SPD sets out the Council's objectives and expectations in delivering custom and self build housing. The document is aimed at informing planning decisions made by the Council when determining planning applications. The draft SPD will be of particular relevance to self build plot providers, developers building more than 20 dwellings, communities involved in Neighbourhood Planning and people wishing to build their own home.
The public consultation on the Custom and Self Build Housing Draft Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) took place from 4th September 2015 until 16th October 2015. The documents below were available to view during this period.
Teignbridge District Council has been given £100,000 to help self-builders get their projects off the ground.
Teignbridge is one of only 11 areas to have been named by the Department for Communities and Local Government as a Right to Build vanguard which will help prospective self-builders secure a plot of land.
The money will allow Teignbridge to continue its great work in bringing shovel-ready sites and help people secure a suitable plot of land so they can design and build their own home.
Sites with Self Build plots
These sites have planning permission or resolution to grant planning permission (November 2015)
To search for any related applications please use Planning Online Search
Register to be kept up to date with the latest news
If you are interested in building your own home and would like to be kept up to date with the latest news fill in the Teignbridge Self Build Expression of Interest Form.
The Council is taking action to support self build by
- including a specific ' Custom Build [7kb]' policy in the Adopted Local Plan which requires a proportion of self build plots to be provided in all large developments;
- supporting Neighbourhood Planning and appropriate larger schemes seeking to deliver multiple self build plots
- working with affordable housing providers and other partners to provide affordable self build plots for local people in housing need.
- a showcase Self Build Call to Action Day was held on 13 June 2014, for would-be self builders to meet industry experts and learn more about building your own unique home. Self Build Call to Action Day June 2014 [278kb] has details of the presenters, exhibitors and useful contacts from the event.
Hints and tips
- Understand what type of self build is best for you and your budget - use the Self Build Portal interactive guide The Self Build Portal.
- If you are a group, read the Custom Build Serviced Plots Loan Fund for loan finance opportunities
- Check the details of planning permissions or the prospect of planning permission with the Local Planning Authority before you buy land.
- Consider the likely cost of any Community Infrastructure Levy when negotiating the purchase of a site.