Cookies information uses cookies to make the site simpler. Find out more about the cookies we use.

Close banner

Waste and recycling collections

We are currently experiencing delays on some of our rounds. If the whole street has been missed we will be aware and will return as soon as possible. Please leave the bins/containers out for collection.

Management of Council Trees

Show all parts of this guide

14. Can I carry out works to trees owned by Teignbridge District Council?

Residents have the common law right to prune overhanging branches back to the boundary line. These works can be carried out from the private property side of the tree. It is advised that care is taken to ensure that works are not detrimental to the health of the tree by using a professional tree surgeon who disposes of the branches themselves.

The Council will not normally allow third party access to Council land to carry out tree works. Teignbridge District Council will only exceptionally approve a third party working on Council owned land for tree works to remove or reduce a nuisance (see below).

Works are to be carried out by a contractor approved to work on Council land, (details can be provided upon request) and according to a specification agreed with the Council. Any contractor must have the appropriate insurance before we would agree to them entering, or working, on our land. 

The works must not be carried out to the detriment of tree health or visual amenity and must be in accordance with British Standard 3998:2010 Tree Work – Recommendations.

Works must not be carried out on trees contrary to any Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or Conservation Area designation, unless written consent has been issued by Teignbridge District Council.