2. Decoy Country Park, Newton Abbot
A Green Flag award winning country park and local nature reserve on the edge of Newton Abbot.
Decoy Country Park provides an opportunity to enjoy formal playing fields and a large children's play area with a water play feature. Other popular amenities include a lake supporting water sports activities and a deciduous woodland with a trim trail incorporated into it.
Decoy was once a clay quarry but now supports a wealth of wildlife, with the main habitats being ponds, streams, fen, wet woodland and heath woodland. Parts of the Country Park are either a County Wildlife Site (CWS) or a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). The Park provides opportunities for quiet countryside recreation such as walking, wildlife watching, duck feeding and picnics, with good wheelchair and pushchair access. Decoy country park is home to a weekly free ramblers wellbeing walk. There is a poetry trail which begins opposite the kiosk.
- pay and display car park
- lake (please note we do not allow radio controlled boats on the lake)
- large play area with water play features
- BMX race track and dirt jumps
- sailing/canoeing (private concession - Devon Windsurf & Canoe Centre)
- sports pitches
- trim trail
- woodland walks
- picnic benches
- refreshment kiosk
- free weekly wellbeing walk
- poetry trail
Wet play area
The wet play area is now open
Facilities for disabled people
- disabled parking
- disabled toilet (Radar key)
- Blue Circular Trail around the lake - suitable for most wheelchairs, particularly if used in a clockwise direction to avoid the only uphill slope
- a tactile map with Braille text for people with visual impairments